Environment of Rural Settlements and Uninhabited Areas (13OZS21O1)
- Level of study undergraduate studies
Ph.D. Ivan Novković
- Subject status: obligatory
- ECTS: 6
- Semester: III
- Number of classes: 2+2
The main goal of the course is getting to know the environmental problems of rural areas. In addition to studying the existing problems of the rural environment, the objective of the subject is to forecast possible changes, as well as a proposal for measures to optimize the ecological aspect of life in the village.
Ability to apply practical knowledge in the field of the environment of rural areas.
- The concept of rurality and the definition of rural space: Definitions of rural areas. Problems of defining the term rural. Functional concepts of rurality. The rural concept of the German (Munich) school.
- Official definitions of rural areas: Definitions of rural areas by OECD's methodology. The term is rural in the countries of the European Union.
- Typology of rural areas: Typology as a spatial research method. Typology of rural areas in the European Union. Typology of rural areas in Serbia.
- Geographical factors of genesisand development of the villages: Location and geographical position as a factor for the development of villages. Relief, geological substrate, pedological characteristics, climatic characteristics, hydrological characteristics as factors of development of rural settlements. Socioeconomic factors of rural genesisand development.
- Basic characteristics of the rural areas of Serbia: Urban development of the villages. Infrastructural development. Economic development. Social development.
- Anthropogenic impact on the environment: The impact of the exploitation of mineral resources. Energy and the environment. Thermal energy and the environment. Influence of hydroelectric power plants and artificial water reservoirs on the environment. Tourism and the environment.
- The rural environment: Basic characteristics of the environment of the villages. Measures to improve the quality of the environment. Planning and development of rural settlements.
- Agriculture and the environment: The impact of agriculture on the environment. Mechanization of soil treatment and environment. Livestock and environment. The problem of agricultural waste.
- Agrochemicals in the environment: Mineral fertilizers in the environment. Pesticides in the environment. Radioactive contamination of the soil.
- Agricultural policy as a factor in land and rural areas degradation: The impact of agriculture on soil. The impact of agromeliorations on the environment. Irrigation and environment. Reclamation.
- Administrative regulation of land: Consolidation. Arondation. Expropriation.
- Ecological agriculture: terminology in ecological agriculture. Biological agriculture. Organic farming. Alternative farming. Natural agriculture. Self-sustaining agriculture. Agriculture without agrochemicals. Classification of ecological agriculture. Organic food production.
- Forests and the environment: The role of forests in human life and the functioning of the biosphere. Protective role of forests. The health role of forests. The role of forests in creating more favorable microclimate conditions. Aesthetic value and emotional-psychological role of forests. Recreational role of forests. Improving forest fund.
- Karst environment: Anthropogenic impacts on the quality of the karst environment. Anthropopression and concentration of human activities. Agrarian overpopulation in karst. Migration of the population from the karst areas. Economic backwardness and unfavorable communication. Consequences of population concentration and human activity on the karst. Characteristics of air pollution in karst conditions. Pollution of water in the karst and consequences of pollution. Problem with municipal and other waste in karst.
- Revitalization of rural settlements: Possibilities of revitalization of rural areas and settlements. General problems and perspectives of development and revitalization of rural settlements. Specific problems and perspectives of development and revitalization of rural settlements. Spatial planning in the revitalization of rural settlements.
Terminology of the rural environment; Potentials of the environment of rural areas; Limitationsof life in rural areas; Transport infrastructure in the rural areas; Energy infrastructure; Alternative forms of energy; Water infrastructure; Communal landscaping; Measures for the improvement of the environment in rural areas; Rural areas of Serbia and the environment; Possibility of revitalization of rural areas and settlements in Serbia; General and specific problems and perspectives of development and revitalization of rural settlements in Serbia; The role of the state of Serbia in the revitalization of rural settlements in the protected areas. Colloquium: Typology of rural settlements; Anthropogenic impacts on rural areas and their consequences on the environment; Administrative land management; Presentation of seminar papers by students.
Lješević M. (2005): Životna sredina sela i nenaseljenih prostora, Geografski fakultet Univerziteta u Beogradu, Beograd
Stamenković S., Bačević M. (1992): Geografija naselja, Geografski fakultet Univerziteta u Beogradu, Beograd
Simonović, Đ., Ribar, M. (1993). Uređenje seoskih teritorija i naselja. Beograd: AF, str. 157-164
Znaor D. (1996): Ekološka poljoprivreda, Zavod, Globus, Zagreb