Quantitative Methods in Geography (NOG12O5)
- Level of study undergraduate studies
Ph.D. Predrag Manojlović
- Subject status: obligatory
- ECTS: 4
- Semester: II
- Number of classes: 2+1
Introduce students to the techniques and methods used in geographical studies.
Teach students that different analytical and synthetic methods can be applied appropriately in particular scientific disciplines that follow in subsequent years of study.
1-2. Needs of geography for quantitative methods; allocation of quantitative methods in geography; techniques for solving quantitative methods in geography; 3. Classification and basic processing of data, limit values of groups; 4-5. Statistical methods: descriptive methods; 6-8. Statistical methods: analytical (functional) methods; 9. Experimental methods: experiments in laboratory and natural conditions; 10. Virtual methods: simulations of phenomena and processes in nature and society; 11. Methods of remote detection: use of aerofoto and satellite imagery in geographical researches; 12. Geographical positioning systems; 13. Quantitative research of spatial relations; 14. Colloquium; 15. Correctional colloquium
1. Sources and types of data in geography; 2-3. Principles for forming databases for the needs of geographical research; 4. Basic statistical terms; 5-6. Application of descryptive statistical methods in geography (measures of central tendency, dispersion measures, dimensions of distribution forms), 7-8. Application of functional statistical methods in geography (correlation coefficient, regression analysis, factor and cluster analysis, trend analysis); 9-11. Analysis and decomposition of time series with base and mobile basis; 12-13. Methods of displaying data; 14-15. Quantitative research of spatial relations (method of unit fields, methods of aral, spatial aspect of regression analysis).
- Daniel R. Montello, Paul C. Sutton: An Introduction to Scientific Research Methods in Geography. SAGE Publications, 2006
- Richard Harris, Claire Jarvis: Statistic for Geography and Environmental Science. Pearson, 2011
- Peter A. Rogerson: Statistical methods for Geography a student̕ s guide. Second edition. SAGE, 2006
- Boris Petz: Osnovne statističke metode za nematematičare. Drugo izdanje. SNL, Zagreb, 1985
- Radmila Njegić, Mileva Žižić: Osnovi statističke analize. peto izdanje. Savremena administracija, Beograd, 1987
- Predrag Manojlović: Hemijska erozija kao geomorfološki proces - teorijski, analitički i metodološki aspekt. Geografski fakultet, Beograd, 1992